SAIDA MIA ready-to-cook sauces are for quick and easy recipes that take you on a culinary adventure around the fabulous flavours of Africa.
This Ethiopian Berbere Lentil Stew is a historically important dish in the country’s predominantly vegetarian diet. The cooks of Ethiopia have been plant-forward for a lot longer than us here in the West!
My SAIDA MIA Berbere Sauce includes the authentic spices that make up the staple Berbere spice blend, with its amazing peppery, lemony flavours, a deep red colour and gentle chilli heat.
The lentils are stewed in the SAIDA MIA Berbere Sauce to infuse the wonderful flavours into this age-old plant-based dish, which you can serve with chapati bread, traditional injera or a slice of fresh sourdough to soak up the cooking juices.
All SAIDA MIA sauces and pastes have a gentle medium heat. Add fresh or powdered chilli to spice them up to your liking.
Ingredients & Prep
- 1 jar of SAIDA MIA Berbere Sauce
- 2 tbsp good quality oil
- 1 medium-size red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 250g red or green lentils
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- Handful of fresh coriander and a green chilli (optional), both roughly chopped
Cook & Serve
- Add the oil to a medium pan, add the diced onion, and cook over a medium heat until it turns translucent
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock, cover to cook for 25 minutes
- Stir occasionally to check the lentils are tender, and avoid them sticking to the pan
- Add the SAIDA MIA Berbere Sauce, stir well and cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly
- Serve with chapati bread or injera, garnished with the chopped coriander and chilli as desired